This a DJ mix only in the most literal sense. The tracks are beat matched, there is a flow—but it’s not executed the way I would put together a mix for a club. It’s intended to tell two separate stories. The tracks span close to 17 years, from 1991-2008.
The first group of six tracks tells a short history of the music that inspired me to begin writing and producing my own electronic dance music…
…from industrial rock to techno to big-beat. The song that finishes out part one, “Proton Girl,” was one of the first tracks I wrote for my debut album in 1998. The idea came to me while watching my girlfriend at the time dancing at a rave.
01) “Anasthasia” - T99
02) “Light” - KMFDM
03) “Mentasm” - Joey Beltram
04) “Afro-Left” - Leftfield
05) “Funky Shit” - The Prodigy
06) “Proton Girl” - DJ FM
The second part is my journey through active addiction.
Some of this music was the literal soundtrack to my using days and were difficult to hear again, especially the Junkie XL mix of Sarah McLachlan. It is probably in my top five remixes of all time, and produces an emotional reaction in me that most music simply can’t touch.
“I Remember” was the first song I listened to upon getting my car back after leaving rehab. I listened to it as I moved my stuff into an Oxford House. It represents a new beginning.
07) “Hypnotized (Red Jerry's Dubby Vocal Mix)” - Oscar G. & Stryke
08) “World On Fire (Junkie XL Mix)” - Sarah McLachlan
09) “I Wish You Were Here (PMT Remix)” - John Creamer & Stephane K
10) “The Forest” - Trentemøller
11) “Lovelee Dae (Tanner Ross & KiloWatts Remix)” - Blaze
12) “I Remember (Strobelite Edit)” - Kaskade/deadmau5
Close your eyes, put on headphones, tune out.