I have previously completed two vintage Rhythm & Blues mixes for Klēn & Sōbr, but my closest friends will recognise these tunes as some of my favourite examples of Soul music.
- Psychedelic Shack – Junior Walker and the All-Stars
- I Get High On You – Sly And The Family Stone
- Jesus Children of America – Stevie Wonder
- As Long as I Have You – Garnet Mimms
- Mr. Big Stuff – Jean Knight
- Mockingbird – Charles and Inez Foxx
- Low Rider – War
- Mardi Gras – Professor Longhair
- I Wish Someone Would Care For Me – Irma Thomas
- I’ve Gotta Get To Know You – Bobby Bland
- I’m So Glad You’re Mine – Ted Hawkins
- Big Soul – John Lee Hooker
The opening song Psychedelic Shack by Jnr Walker and the All-Stars remains my theme tune as a DJ and is guaranteed to get any party started; the beautiful reworking of Mockingbird by Charles and Inez Foxx was one of the tunes my beautiful wife and I chose to play at our wedding; I’m So Glad You’re Mine by Ted Hawkins reminds me of my days as a Jazz and Blues record buyer, when I hosted his debut UK appearance; and I Wish Someone Would Care For Me by Irma Thomas is, in my opinion, close to being a perfect example of recorded music – the performance, the production, the arrangement and its pure soul. This is an intensely personal mix, I hope you enjoy it.